SEIZURE FIRST AID
When providing seizure first aid, these are the key things to remember:
• Keep calm and reassure others who may be nearby.
• Don’t hold the person down or try to stop his/ her movements.
• Time the seizure with your watch.
• Clear the area around the person of anything hard or sharp.
• Loosen ties or anything around the neck that may make breathing difficult.
• Put something flat and soft, like a folded jacket, under the head.
• Turn him or her gently onto one side. This will help keep the airway clear.
• DO NOT try to force the mouth open with any hard implement or with fingers. Efforts to hold the tongue down can cause serious injury.
• Don’t attempt artificial respiration except in the unlikely event that a person does not start breathing again after the seizure has stopped.
• Stay with the person until the seizure ends naturally.
• Be friendly and reassuring as consciousness returns.
• Offer to call a taxi, friend or relative to help the person get home if he seems confused or unable to get home by himself.
For more information, please contact the Epilepsy Foundation Texas at (888) 548-9716 or email us firstname.lastname@example.org.
FREE CEU’s – ONLINE TRAINING!!!
Online Nurse Training offered through the Epilepsy Foundation
This course allows you to receive 3.2 Continuing Education Units! Take the online course here.
Also available: ‘Seizure Training for School Personnel.’
Designed specifically for school personnel, this online training program teaches seizure recognition and first aid. It also provides essential information for anyone working with students with epilepsy and seizures. You will also receive Continuing Education Units! Take the online course here!
Managing Students With Seizures: The Importance Of School Nurses
CDC Course No. RPWD 2924
Managing Students with Seizures: The Importance of School Nurses is designed to provide school nurses with information, strategies and resources that will enable him/her to better manage students with seizures. FREE TRAINING – Offered through http://www.Epilepsy.com Start Online Course HERE