Key Elements to Remember when Providing Seizure First Aid:
- Keep calm and reassure others who may be nearby.
- Don’t hold the person down or try to stop his/ her movements.
- Time the seizure with your watch.
- Clear the area around the person of anything hard or sharp.
- Put something flat and soft, like a folded jacket, under the head.
- Turn him/her gently onto one side. This will help keep the airway clear.
- Stay with the person until the seizure ends naturally.
- Be friendly and reassuring as consciousness returns.
- Offer to call a taxi, friend or relative to help the person get home if he seems confused or unable to get home by himself.
- Seizure First Aid Poster (English)
- Seizure First Aid Poster (Spanish)
Get the Seizure First Aide App!
Download the Free “Seizure First Aide” App, developed by the Epilepsy Foundation of Minnesota, for assistance with recognizing different types of seizures, knowing what to do, and timing how long the seizure lasts.
For more information, please contact the Epilepsy Foundation Texas at (888) 548-9716 or email us email@example.com.