Sam’s Law (HB684)
Epilepsy Foundation 24/7 Toll-Free Helpline 1-800-332-1000 (en Español 1-866-748-8008) Trained information specialists are available to answer questions about epilepsy and seizures, and provide access to resources.
Texas Epilepsy Support Groups
EFTX Houston Support Group – Meets 2nd Tuesday of each month
EFTX Collin County Support Group – Meets 3rd Thursday of each month
EFTX DFW 20 Somethings Support Group – Meeting dates vary by month
EFTX Fort Worth Epilepsy Support Group – 2019 Meeting Dates
June 13th, August 8th, October 3rd, December 6th
Cook Children’s Medical Center Support Group – Meets the second Thursday of every other month
EFTX Pasadena Parent Support Group – Meets on the third Wednesday of the month
Children’s Medical Center, Dallas – Spanish Parent Support Group – This group meets 4 times a year.
UT Southwestern Epilepsy and Seizure Support Group
Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center Support Group – Meets on the first Thursday of every month
Visit Texas Epilepsy Support Groups for additional information regarding Meeting dates times and contacts.
Resources For Teachers and Schools:
- Education Programs that can help school nurses, teachers and other school personnel better support a student with seizures.
- Seizures and You: Take Charge of the Facts is an epilepsy awareness program for high school teens to dispel myths and reduce misunderstanding about epilepsy.
- Seizures and You: Take Charge of the Storm is an epilepsy educations awareness program for middle school students.
- Epilepsy & My Child Toolkit: A Resource for Parents with a Newly Diagnosed Child (National Center for Project Access at the national Epilepsy Foundation)
School and Child Care Materials
– an overview of issues children might face and regulations that can protect them
– a comprehensive guide to help parents protect their children’s rights
- Information for your child’s school:
- Forms and communication tools that can help school nurses and teachers understand what epilepsy is and know what to do in case of a seizure
- Education Programs for school nurses and other school personnel available online or through your local Epilepsy Foundation
FREE Print Magazine Subscription to Brain&Life©. (Formerly Neurology Now©) Click Here to Sign Up!>>